If, at the consultation, your GP feels that you would benefit from a referral to secondary care, you will be offered a choice of hospitals to which you can be referred. As Oxford has numerous hospitals we anticipate that most patients will choose to go to Oxford. However, you should be aware that there are others to choose from. Click here for more details regarding Choice and Booking
Once the referral letter has been checked the secretary then sends the letter electronically to the outpatient department of the hospital of your choice. This process generates a (UBRN) Unique Booking Reference Number and a password. The secretary will send these details to you in the post along with a telephone number for you to phone hospital appointments and arrange your own appointment.
Choose & Book
Choose and Book is a service that lets you choose your hospital or clinic and book an appointment.
When you and your GP agree that you need an appointment, you can choose which hospital or clinic you go to. You will also be able to choose the date and time of your appointment.
The benefits of Choose and Book:
- You can choose any hospital in England funded by the NHS (this includes NHS hospitals and some independent hospitals).
- You can choose the date and time of your appointment.
- You experience greater convenience and certainty. With Choose and Book, the choice is yours.
- There is less chance that information will get lost in the post because more correspondence takes place through computers.
What does Choose and Book mean for me?
As well as giving you a choice of hospital, date and time for your appointment, Choose and Book will also give you the ability to:
- plan and manage around your existing appointments, if you are currently undergoing treatment;
- fit your treatment in with your other commitments, at home and at work;
- choose appointments that fit with your carer's schedule;
- check the status of your referral and to change or cancel your appointments easily over the phone or on the internet.