King Edward Street Surgery

9 King Edward Street, Oxford, OX1 4JA

Tel:  01865 242657 


 Fax: 01865 200983

Out of Hours – Dial 111      Emergency Ambulance – Dial 999

HomePractice TeamPractice CharterPractice ServicesStudent InformationSelf-HelpPatient Group

General Information
Student Health
Corpus College Nurse
Lincoln College Nurse
St. Catz College Nurse
Oriel College Nurse
Sexual Health/contraception
Stress & Mental Health




General Information
This practice has a long history of looking after students and acting as public health adviser to Colleges and the University.

Unlike other Universities, Oxford does not have a Central University Health Centre.  Individual Colleges appoint experienced General Practitioners to look after members of College.  It is important to emphasise that confidentiality is paramount and that information is not passed from the College Practice to the College without the express permission of the patient concerned.  All College official websites have links to the University Policy on Confidentiality.

Since Dr. Gancz is a Senior Clinical Lecturer in Medicine (Primary Care), teaching medical students is a core part of our activity.

Every patient has the right to refuse to been seen by a medical student and we are not in any way upset by a refusal.  Obviously if you are happy to be seen by a student as well as the doctor it helps with the student’s education.

The practice looks after several Oxford Colleges and all the doctors currently working in the practice were medical students at Oxford and therefore understand the particular difficulties that Oxford students may encounter. You’ll find the best paypal casino bonus here, people have enough to have it!

Play during the best gambling house with us about no deposit bonus codes australia.Bonus with regard to the very first 100 people!

Medical Certificates may be necessary at examination times but there are very strict University rules governing these.  In the first instance these should be discussed with your Senior Tutor who will advise whether or not a Certificate might be appropriate and suggest visiting the College Doctor.

The College Pastoral Team 

The College Doctor, College Nurse, Chaplain and Welfare Officers together with other College Officers make up the Colleges’ Pastoral Teams.  The members of the team vary from College to College but they are all there to give support to people who are unwell as well as those who are encountering difficulties of whatever kind. There is always someone available to help.

College Nurses

Each College appoints a College Nurse (details of their surgery hours in College are available from the Lodge) and if you are unwell in College they are often the best first port of call.  Click on your College link below to contact your College Nurse.


Student Health and Welfare  


Corpus Christi College



 College Nurse:  Anthea Jones

 Telephone:       01865 276705



Lincoln College



 College Nurse:  Midge Curran

 Tel:                 01865 279817



St. Catherine’s College



 College Nurse:  Ennis Frankum

 Tel:                 01865 271719



Oriel College




 College Nurse:  Sarah Dragonetti

 Tel:                 01865 276559




Stress and Mental Health


Oxford University Counselling Service:

A free, confidential, counselling service for undergraduate and graduate students to which you can self-refer.

 11 Wellington Square


 t:  01865 270300

 Open Mon to Fri from 9.15a.m. to  5.15p.m.


A night-time listening, support and information service run by Oxford students for Oxford students.


Confidential emotional support 24 hours a day.


Oxford Student Mental Health Network:

A mental health support and training group for both Oxford University and Oxford Brookes.  No direct service but links to lots of self-help.


Oxford University Student Union Welfare:

A broad guide to support services within the University.


Examination Stress

If things aren’t going well come and discuss them with us.  If you are sleeping poorly click on the weblink.   Sleeping Well




Sexual Health and Contraception


We are happy to advise on all matters of sexual health including contraception, sexually transmitted infections, pregnancy, sexual orientation, sexuality and transgender issues.  You may also like to consult the Family Planning Association’s excellent website:


Contraceptive services are provided free of charge by GPs and Family Planning Clinics.

Condoms are available free of charge in common rooms, from the College Nurse and the College Practice. 

If you need advice or information about contraception, please discuss your options in confidence with your College Nurse, GP or Family Planning Clinic.  We provide most forms of contraception within the practice but if you prefer to go to family planning you can attend the Alec Turnbull Clinic.  


  • 456666
  • Raglan House, 23 Between Towns Rd, Cowley, OX4 3JH

  • Monday – Thursday: 9.30 – 7pm 

  • Fri: 9.30am – 4pm;

  • Sat: 10.30am – 1.30pm

Emergency contraception:

Emergency contraception advice is available from the practice.  Acting quickly and using emergency contraception after unprotected sex or contraceptive failure will usually prevent a pregnancy.  The emergency contraceptive pill is licensed for use within 72 hours after unprotected sex but its effectiveness decreases over time.    If it is taken within 24 hours of having unprotected sex, it prevents 95% of pregnancies.

The emergency contraceptive pill is available free AND IN CONFIDENCE from:

·    Your GP surgery – King Edward Street surgery (Dr Gancz, Dr Drury and Dr Shute) between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday,

·    Out of Hours GP service– 6.30pm to 8am weekdays and 24 hours at weekends.

·    The family planning clinic – this is known as the Alec Turnbull clinic, based at Raglan House, Cowley

·    The Genitourinary medicine (GUM) clinic at the Churchill Hospital (01865 231231) telephone manned 8.30am-6.00pm Monday to Thursday and 8.30am to 4pm Friday

·    Local Pharmacies (but it will cost around £25 without a prescription)

The emergency contraceptive pill should not be used as a regular method of contraception so it is also important to consider future contraception and tests for sexually transmitted infections (which may also have been passed on through unprotected sex).  Tests and future contraception may also be arranged with your GP or Family Planning Clinic – the GUM clinic doesn’t provide ongoing contraception but has the best facilities for STD testing and contact tracing.

If more than 72 hours has elapsed since the unprotected sex it is still worth going to see a healthcare professional to discuss your options.  There is an alternative emergency contraceptive pill which can be prescribed for over-18’s up to 120 hours (5 days) and the copper coil (IUD) may also be inserted up to 120 hours after unprotected sex – this may also be used as ongoing contraception.

  t:  01865 242657



  t: 0845 345 8995



  t:  01865 456666




Sexually Transmitted Infections:

Advice and treatment available from the practice but if you prefer to go to the STI Clinic here is the weblink.

 Sexual Health


Travel Vaccination

Remember to seek advice on travel vaccinations and prophylaxis well in advance of your trip.  Our practice nurse has up-to-date information on all areas of the world.  Remember travel vaccination and anti-malarial tablets are not covered by the NHS.  They are still well worth the investment.

Back to top


Copyright © 2007 King Edward Street Surgery.  All rights reserved.

Page last updated on 02 August 2013